With Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby looming on nearly every channel, audiences are being transfixed and transported by Lana Del Rey’s penned “Young And Beautiful”. Conversely, whether you’re reading Rolling Stone, watching MTV, or listening to any radio station that plays Top 40 hits, you’re likely to run into rapper/yodeler/rock/electropop star Ke$ha. The differences in music style between these two women are so obvious that it’s essentially implied. Del Rey would be considered Vueve while Ke$ha is Korbel (or worse!). However, if this were the second women’s UFC fight, Ke$ha would win with a TKO. Here are ten reasons how Del Rey is being out shined by rainbow glitter, unicorn necklaces, and animals.
1. Ke$ha has released three EP’s, each containing new songs and has yet to re-release the same CD with a scrawny number of new tracks. Del Rey released four EP’s where 3 contained repetitive songs. What an opportunity to have purchased “Born to Die” three separate times!
2. When Ke$ha sings about driving a gold trans am, it is somehow more relatable than Del Rey’s Jaguar endorsement.
3. Ke$ha has been approved by Andre 3000, Snoop Lion, and Wiz Khalifa as a certified rapper. Breaking into new audiences and giving her street credibility.
4. Lana Del Rey does not own a glitter cannon.
5. Ke$ha was first to sport a gold tooth cap. Del Rey soon followed. Originality always wins.
6. Ke$ha’s performance at the New Now Next Awards vs. Lana Del Rey’s SNL performance.
7. Lana Del Rey was born Elizabeth Woolridge Grant aka Lana Del Ray aka Lana Rey Del Mar aka Lizzy Grant aka May Jailer aka Sparkle Jump Rope Queen. Born Kesha Rose Sebert aka Ke$ha.
8. Ke$ha’s music actually sounds different on each track.
9. Instruments by Ke$ha: vocals, piano, guitar, cowbell, vocorder, keyboard, laser harp, theremin, accordion, drums, keytar, (accordion is worth mentioning twice!). Instruments by Lana: vocals, guitar.
10. WTF is “sadcore”? or worse, “Hollwood sadcore”?